Sunday, September 4, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

So there's this couple that have been coming into the restaurant for about a year and a half.  I waited on them the first time they came in.  They are strict vegetarians and it took awhile to figure out if they could eat any of our cheese or not because we had to do some research to see if it contained a certain enzyme.  Well, they were very appreciative of the customer service, because where I work we "take it to the next level :)"  Anyway, since then, every time they come in and I'm working, they are always very friendly to me and we talk.  They both have accents and I don't make it a habit to ask where people are from but last night when I was working, they came in and I noticed that she had henna tattoos all over her hands.  I know that India just celebrated it's independence day and Ramadan just ended, so I asked her if she was from India.  Lo and behold, yes, they are from India.  Here's where it gets C-R-A-Z-Y.

me:  So what part of India are you from?

her:  Hyderabad.

me:  get out!  that's in Andhra Pradresh, right?

her :  Yes! (with a look of, "how does this chick know this?")

me:  I'm adopting a little girl from Hyderabad!

him:  Oh!  we can help you!

me:  PLEASE DO!!  How?

him:  her dad is a lawyer over there!  It helps to have a lawyer over there if you get stuck.  Do you have to go and get her?

me:  yes, and I just found out that I will probably have to stay there for a month while everything gets processed.

him:  Oh, you must stay in her father's guest house.  When do you think you will be going?  She is planning on going in November or December.  Wouldn't that be fantastic if you two could fly over together?

me:  Yes, yes it would.

We exchanged emails and phone numbers and now I have a new Indian friend who is going to help me with some of the language that Sofia speaks and she told me that she would tat me up before I go! SCORE!  I am SO excited!!!  It reminded me of the verse in Hebrews 13:2

"Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!"

I know these people aren't angels, but it's a reminder to always be kind!

1 comment: